Friday, October 12, 2007

No bento for tomorrow! :(

I made Rice-A-Roni Spanish rice as the main part of my lunch for tomorrow...and I totally hated it. Blech. I'm so picky...I will stick with my regular recipe from now on. I'll just have to buy a salad at work.

Next to no veggies in the house now (do potatoes count? I think there's some mixed frozen veggies, but I like to save those for "fried" rice...), and the only fruits are apples (which I dislike in general - it's a texture thing), and bananas. So my bento would have been boring anyway. x_x My parents are meat & potatoes-type people to the extreme. They buy a TON of starchy stuff, which really sucks for me. I'm a vegetarian, and I like my veggies, dammit! >_<

I'm grateful for what they're doing for us, letting us stay here and all...but I would go crazy if we weren't getting out soon. They are very hard to live with on so many levels...love em, but we don't see eye to eye very often. :3

Might have to break down and buy groceries...but I really hope we don't have to, as I don't want to spend money on anything I don't have to at this point. The more we save, the more we have once we move! D:

I did crack out my new rice ball mold though, and made a batch of little round onigiri! I also learned that one batch of rice, made according to package directions, makes exactly 12 rice balls. Which is perfect, really - I'll only have to make a batch once a week. Two per day for hubby's lunch, and one for each day I work, since I only work Saturday and Sunday.

Hopefully I can make a decent lunch for Sunday - I miss my bento already! :(

3 comments:

Mer said...

Oh no! I hope you weren't following my example only to find you didn't like the stuff!

If so... I'm terribly sorry.

Marryth said...

Oh, no, no worries. I'm superpicky as a rule anyway. ^_^;

Maybe I screwed it up. :3

Author said...

Hi marryth, I don't like Rice-a-Roni spanish rice flavor either.

But there is one flavor I like: the almond flavor one is good, although it is extremely salty.

I know what its like to share a kitchen -- mainly its the pantry that is the problem isn't it? Limited space to store stuff you would like to use on a regular basis so you're stuck using what is on hand.

Very smart to make batches of food all at once and then store them too. M