Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Bento #42 - MORE leftovers.




Yay for leftovers? Hey, at least I'm making bentos again. :P

Last of the cheesy pasta, some perogies with butter, and homemade meatballs in sauce. Green container with salt and pepper mix.

The perogies are frozen, not homemade like my last round a few months back...so they aren't nearly as good, but at least they're perogies!

Meatballs...yes, they look pretty ick, but Josh was happy with them. It's the first time I've ever made meatballs, so I'm happy that they turned out ok. I just kind of threw the sauce together with random things I had kickin' around. Soy sauce, alas, was not one of them. He gave them a 7/10, and said they'd be 8/10 if there was soy sauce in the sauce. Not bad, for a first attempt. (He's a harsh critic, though not a particularly picky one - only steak and "very VERY good pizza" are worthy of a 10, for the record. He's not picky in that he'll eat most foods...but he's harsh, in that next to nothing makes it past an 8.5 or so.)

The meatballs - ground beef, 1 egg, salt and pepper, minced garlic.

The sauce - water, brown sugar, flour, orange marmalade, vinegar, and a TINY bit each of ketchup, BBQ sauce and teriyaki sauce. Oh, and a dab of oyster sauce, too. Next time, there'll be soy sauce in there. :P

I formed the meatballs, and put them in a baking dish, covered with foil, in the oven at 325F for about 20 minutes. Then, I took them out, poured the sauce over them, slapped the foil back on, and cooked them for another 15-20 minutes or so. Voila, easy peasy saucy meatballs! (I drained as much grease as possible out before I added the sauce - NEVER AGAIN will I be cheap and buy medium ground beef. Ick! Greasy to the extreme!) The sauce was just the right consistency once it came out, so I was really happy with that, too - not too thin, not too thick. Yay! Considering I never tasted them, and am not a meat eater, I'm always somewhat thrilled when a meat dish I make from scratch turns out even reasonably well. ^_^;

I need to pick up more fruit and veggies. Hubby was not keen on the raw carrots I had in his last one...in fact, he didn't eat them. He'll eat cooked, though...so you'll probably be seeing some soon.


No comments: